So, apparently there is a thing on Booktube (YouTube for books) called Tome Topple. It takes place from Nov. 16th to Nov. 29th. For more information, here’s a link to the original video.
Now, I love the idea of this challenge of reading only books over 500 pages. However, I didn’t like the time limit (only two weeks) and the individual challenges. The original challenges were as follows:
1. Read more than 1 tome.
2. Read a graphic novel (still over 500 pages!)
3. Read a tome that is part of a series
4. Buddy read a tome
5. Read an adult novel
Now, a lot of those I couldn’t (or wouldn’t) do. I don’t read graphic novels, and I certainly don’t have anyone to buddy read a tome (the only person I might be able to convince in my sister, who’s probably read every tome out there).
So, instead of moping around because I couldn’t do the challenge, I thought I would create my own. Thus, I give you…
5 Weeks, 5 Tomes
The challenge rules are as follows:
- Complete 5 tomes (any book over 500 pages) in 5 weeks (I’ll be starting Nov. 17 and going to Dec. 22).
And that’s it…only one main challenge. However, for myself, I’m adding a few more secondary challenges.
- Read a tome published at least a hundred years ago.
- Read a tome set in a foreign place.
- Read a tome with a beautiful cover.
- Read a tome and watch an adaptation of it.
- Finish 5 tomes.
Okay, so there you have it….I already regret setting this challenge for myself. But here are my book choices (also, note, I’m going by the pages in the edition I have, though editions vary in length).
- Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky (published over hundred years ago) (521 pages)
- Claudius the God by Robert Graves (set in a foreign place—in this case, Rome) (583 pages)
- Terrier by Tamora Pierce (beautiful cover) (584 pages)
- Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (several adaptations of this and C&P) (627 pages)
- The Canterbury Tales by Chaucer (I’m counting this as a tome, even though it’s a collection of short stories) (528 pages)
So, there you have it! I’ll be starting the challenge in a few days and I’ll let you know how I’m doing as I go along.
Have you read a tome? What is your favorite tome? Let me know your thoughts down in the comments, follow my blog for more madness and, as always,
Best wishes in your life full of adventure,